Thursday, March 23, 2017

Looking for Land

One of the first questions I usually get asked when I tell people we are going tiny is, "Where are you parking the house?" I must say, finding a place to park a tiny home can be a difficult process, even in the PNW, where you would think the community would welcome tiny homes with open arms. Unfortunately, housing rules and regulations make the process more difficult than you might think. 

The process of finding land to rent was, in my opinion, the most frustrating part of this entire process. There are several websites and Facebook forums that connect those with land to those with tiny homes, however, land for tiny homes is hard to come by. I talked with several members of the tiny house community and put out some feelers on various online groups, but not too much came of that.

I had about given up on the dream of going tiny, when I opened up an email alert about a tiny house blog I had subscribed to. At the bottom of the email, there was a link to a list of land for rent across the country. I had seen this site before, but noticed a new post in Washington and clicked it. Sure enough, a spot just like we were looking for was described and available starting around the time frame we would need it. I immediately contacted the landlord and the rest is now history! 

Our Parking Spot

Eric and I will be renting land a little northeast of Seattle from a gentlemen who owns 100+ acres of farmland. He's got a couple of RV spots set up and has recently started opening up the spots to the tiny house community. He hopes to have a tiny house village of 5-6 homes at some point in the near future. We will have electric, water, sewage, internet, garbage and recycling. 

We will have access to the land as of April 1st are hoping for a move in date of April 15, depending on when the house is completed and delivered. We are anxiously awaiting our new home and new space to put our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment